Like Fish Tails on Facebook!

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Chumming

Chumming refers to throwing material in the water that will attract fish.  There are some people that consider it "cheating."  I'm not in that group.

I'm a bank fisherman.  There's no boat here, so I can't come to the fish.  They have to come to me.  

So I have two choices.  I can wait for the fish and hope that they hit my one little piece of bait in that vast expanse of water, or I can make something happen.  I choose the latter.

The best items with which to chum are oily and aromatic.  I know what you're thinking.  Can a fish smell?  You bet!  

Smell is one of the fish's strongest senses.  Take a look at the photo below.  The carp's nostril is the hole in front of its eye.  There's one on each side.


Now let's talk about the best items to use as chum.  Bread is tried and true.  If you're using it for bait, buy an extra loaf just to chum.

Corn is another sure bet.  When you go to the store, buy the cheap generic stuff.  Get at least a couple of cans.  

Dump a whole can into the area you'll be fishing.  If you're on a pier, simply dump the contents straight down.  If you're on the bank, shake the can back and forth in front of you.  Shake your arm widely for a larger coverage radius.  Then get ready.  You just rang the dinner bell!  

Hot dog weenies also make good chum. You can throw them a few feet and get good coverage.  The oils in the franks can draw an almost immediate response.

Last but not least, there's dog food.  It's VERY aromatic.  Catfish absolutely love the stuff.  I've seen dog food send catfish into a feeding frenzy in a small stocked pond.

Just a couple more tips.  If you're lucky enough to live on a lake or be within short distance to your favorite fishing hole, you should chum often.  I recommend at least once a week, whether or not you fish.  Even in a big lake, it won't take long to establish a feeding pattern for the fish.

As usual, check the rules and regs.  The legality of chumming and what you chum with varies by state and certainly by country.


No comments:

Post a Comment