Like Fish Tails on Facebook!

Monday, December 8, 2014

Best Fishing Spots in Lubbock

Let me start out by saying that I have not visited every playa lake in Lubbock.  There are dozens, and I have a family and a day job.  What follows is my opinion.

I've been here the better part of two decades.  In that time, I've had the privilege of fishing approximately a dozen playas.  Here are my top five favorites.

At the very top of my list in the number one place is the lake at Phil Hoel Park.  At this playa lake, my kids and I have caught countless flathead catfish, bluegill, sunfish, carp, and even a turtle.  Below is probably our biggest catch from that lake.



Although not as big, here's another one.



Second place, and I do mean a close second, goes to the pond at Leroy Elmore Park.  It's the only place in town where I've landed big carp and big catfish.  See below.




The Lubbock lake that gets my number three award is Buster Long.  If you want big carp, this is where you go.  See below.



At number four is the Buddy Holly Recreational Area in the north part of the city.  We haven't pulled any huge fish out, but we have caught LOTS of quality channel catfish.  See below.


Although I don't have a photo, my number five is the pond at Maxey Park.  

As usual, the fish pictured were released back into the water.  Keep in mind that a Texas fishing license is required for those 17 or older.  Happy fishing, and Merry Christmas!













No comments:

Post a Comment