Like Fish Tails on Facebook!

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Things I Say to My Kids

Fishing trips afford a fantastic opportunity to talk to children.  That's especially true if you allow NO electronic devices.  That includes phones, except for yours.  Your phone should be used ONLY for photographs of the kids and the fish.

When there are no devices around, a funny thing happens.  People look at each other.  They make eye contact.  They talk, and that's rare.  Conversation is a lost art, even among families.

Those moments of fishing with my kids are precious because we may have a crazy week ahead.  So it's important to make the most of the time.  There are many things that can be said or asked during a fishing trip.

1.) I love you.  Say that one a lot.

2.) I'm proud of you.  Say that one a lot too.

3.) God loves you, and God made all of this.  You can't say that one enough either.

4.) How are you?

5.) Who's your best friend nowadays?

6.) How's school?

7.) What's your favorite / least favorite part of school?

The list goes on and on.  My kids are still young.  Obviously the way you frame questions for a teenager might be different.  The first three should NEVER change.

Now I'll be the first to admit that not every one of my fishing trips goes like an episode of Leave It to Beaver.  Sometimes I'm in a bad mood.  Sometimes my kids are grumpy.

There are days when my kid casting over my line is no big deal.  Then there are days when it results in a colossal tangle, and I get upset.  Just like anything else you do with kids, there will be times that it doesn't go well.

That said, the bad trips pale in comparison to the good ones.  What makes a trip good actually has nothing to do with the fish.  It has to do with perfect, innocent little eyes that light up when they catch something that looks more like bait.



It's all about the silliness and the smiles.


It's about a moment between a brother and sister that you can't re-create or ever get back.


Because this 6 year old little boy here ...


... turns into the 10 year old boy below in the blink of an eye.


And what better setting to watch them grow up than this?


"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take; but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ Author Unknown












No comments:

Post a Comment