Like Fish Tails on Facebook!

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

2.5 ft, 4 lbs Carp!

Here in West Texas, it takes a well-trained eye to find the beauty.  Don't get me wrong, the beauty is definitely there.  For me, our playa lakes are truly gorgeous.

The reason is simple.  When you combine dozens of playa lakes with no commute, you can get some serious fishing done in a small period of time.

In between getting off of work and heading to a PTA meeting, I had just over an hour today.  It turns out that an hour is all I needed.  Check it out!


That, my friends, is an awesome common carp.  I couldn't find my scale, but I'd estimate the weight at 4 lbs.  

With this fish, I'd say the length is even more impressive than the weight.  No tape measure, but I estimate the length at 2.5 feet.  Now that fishing season's heating up, I'll make sure to have a scale and a tape measure on me next time!

So here's the thing.  I had two poles.  One had a hair rig, which is specifically designed for carp.  It was baited with strawberry boilies.

The other pole had nothing more than one split shot weight and a #4 baitholder hook.  It was baited with a live nightcrawler.  That, my friends, is the rig that caught this awesome carp.

This incident underscores something I've preached all along.  Simple is good.  Simple is powerful.  Simple works.

Having said that, I did put the worm on the hook in such a way as to optimize the chances of the hook lodging in the fish's lower lip.  I have a whole post dedicated to that.  Go check it out.  

More importantly, go fishing.  Carp like this are lots of fun to catch.  This one actually jerked my pole a couple feet in the air.  The only thing that kept the pole from going in the lake was the chair I had it propped against.

It was exhilarating!  Tight lines!


No comments:

Post a Comment