Like Fish Tails on Facebook!

Sunday, March 15, 2015

March Fishing Report

Hello, my friends.  I know it's been almost a month since my last post.  It hasn't been for lack of fishing.  It's been for lack of catching!

Playa lakes are relatively shallow.  As such, their ecosystems are significantly affected by our West Texas weather extremes.  Look at the picture below.  It was taken last month.


That's not fog.  It's steam.  Prior to the day this picture was taken, we enjoyed a few days in the 60's and 70's.  Then an arctic cold front dropped the temp into the 20's.  That steam is the heat escaping from the water after a 50 degree temperature swing.

When you see that happening in a playa lake, you can bank on fish lock-jaw.  Don't get me wrong, there have been some small victories.



This weekend I used corn and worms.  I also tried my hand at some bass fishing with a shad crankbait.  For all of the hours invested, there wasn't much return.  I have only one small carp to show you.


I caught this one in a playa lake on whole kernel sweet corn.  That was after a LOT of chumming with the same corn.  The good news is that I saw a lot of carp jumping.  While activity didn't equal lots of bites, it is good to see them moving!

I also tried Buffalo Springs Lake, but came up with nothing there.  The good news, my friends, is that it's warming up. That means the fish will warm up, and so will the bites!  Just take a look at this forecast.


As usual, the fish pictured were released.  Tight lines!





No comments:

Post a Comment